Friday, January 2, 2009

Something New, Something Old

I experienced something new the other day that I hadn't felt since childhood. Boredom! Yep, I felt restless and irritated that I had nothing that I wanted to do, or needed to do. I didn't have that monkey on my back telling me to, "Pay the bills, grade papers, clean the bathroom, check email, etc." I didn't even have the desire to read a book, watch a movie, or take a nap. Why? I had already done all of those things. Activities that I always long to get to, but never do until the crummy work is finished. Normally in a situation like this, people probably have a hobby that they would like to work on. But, through the last five years of full time teaching and getting my masters, I've abandoned all thought or hope of a hobby. It sounds super domestic (and a little dorky), but I would really like to get into quilting. But I've never really started this hobby, so to get started, it would involve buying all the supplies that are necessary to start. Do I REALLY want to buy all that equipment when chances are slim that I will ever return to this weird thing called boredom? I saw a book at Michael's yesterday called, "Teach Yourself how to Quilt." This is perfect, I can read this book and get started, but the darn thing was $20. Ouch, can't I take up a hobby that doesn't cost money? I suppose that would be maybe walking on my treadmill or around the block, but let's not get crazy! So this means that I've seen plenty of movies, read plenty of books, and been napping a little too much.
Here's my movies in review:
Valkryie-*****
Bedtime Stories-**
The Day the Earth Stood Still-**
Four Christmases-*
Benjamin Button-****

I also read The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. I would recommend this book, and I'm looking forward to seeing the movie. Sad and depressing subject matter, but I loved it and found another book called, Milkweed, which takes place during the WWII also.

To avoid the crazy thought of exercise, I re-decorated the bathroom. Yep, for $60 I changed the shower curtain, put down new rugs and put up coordinating towels. Surprise, new bathroom. I also re-arranged some curtains that I had laying around the house to change the look in the front room. (I saw that at Vickie's house, thanks Vickie)

Something Old? We spent New Year's Eve with the same friends we have been celebrating with for ten years. Ten years???? Yep, we've been ringing in the new year the same way for years. I like that idea. We know what we like, we know how we like to celebrate and we loved hanging out together. In fact, we played Rock Band for several hours. By the way, Rock Bank is a VERY addicting game that my boys are wanting to run out and buy today. (I may charge the darn thing today without even asking Todd) Anyway, we had so much fun.

To top off the New Year the wind began to blow. (Previous posts will tell you that I've become discontented with the stupid wind.) I can't sleep with the hurricane force winds trying to rip my house off the foundation, so big T and I drug the guest room mattress down to the basement in hopes that we can escape the wind. Didn't work, we could still hear the wind anyway.

The next day I cooked up some amazing food the kids and Todd. They were thrilled with the leftover wienies from the previous day and the pizza rolls too. Oh, more naps and the Twilight Zone marathon was just perfect for our family. C started a paint by number and Ty and Todd started putting together a model car. B had to work at McDonald's. He had to laugh when a lady came through the drive thru at 2:30 pm and wanted to order off the breakfast menu. Hum? Happy New Year.

2 comments:

BarbB said...

Congratulations on your boredom! I think I've been bored maybe a couple of times in the last 3 years. Try to enjoy it because you know it doesn't happen often.

TamiJ said...

So glad to hear you were able to relax over the holiday. You certainly deserve it!
Love ya!